Egypt's New Fees for Mobile Phone Lines, Passports and Driving Licenses
Source: www.export-egypt.com 6/6/2018
Egypt's House of Representatives approved a draft law to amend existing and impose new fees for several licenses and services including acquiring mobile phones and residency permits, as well as driving and firearms licenses.
The draft law, finalized by lawmakers headed by Ali Abdel-Aty, amends some provisions of Law No. 147, which imposes fees as a way to bolster the state's financial resources.
Ahram Online presents a guide and a breakdown to the approved new and amended fees.
Mobile phone lines
• EGP 50 fee for buying a new mobile phone line.
• EGP 10 fee added on to mobile phone line's monthly bill.
• EGP 200 fee for issuing a new passport as well renewing a passport instead of EGP 54.40 under the old law.
Foreigners' residence permits and works permits violations
• EGP 500 fine for foreigners who are late in renewing their residence permits or who change their residence address without notifying the authorities, instead of EGP 20 under the old law.
• EGP 500 fine for workplaces that do not report hiring foreigners as well hiring foreigners without work permits.
Egyptian nationality application
• EGP 1,000 fee for applying for Egyptian nationality, instead of EGP 50 under the old law.
• EGP 2,500 fee for obtaining a gun license, instead of EGP 50 under the old law.
• EGP 1,000 fee for renewing the gun license, instead of EGP 25 under the old law.
New car licenses
• Fee equivalent to 0.5% of the car's value for a car with engine power less than 1330cc.
• Fee equivalent to 2% of the car's value for a car with engine power less than 1630cc.
• Fee equivalent to 2.25% of the car's value for a car with engine power less than 2030cc.
• Fee equivalent to 2.5% of the car's value for a car with engine power more than 2030cc.
Used car licenses
• EGP 225 fee for cars with engine power less than 1030cc, up from a fee of EGP 116.
• EGP 350 fee for cars with engine power less than 1330cc, up from a fee of EGP 143.
• EGP 750 fee for cars with engine power less than 1630cc, up from a fee of EGP 175.
• EGP 3000 fee, with minimum fees of EGP 800, for cars with engine power less than 2030cc, up from a fee of EGP 1000 fees with minimum of EGP 200.
The old law did not differentiate between the new car and used car license fees.
• EGP 300 for private driving license, instead of EGP 20.
• EGP 200 for professional driving license, instead of EGP 9.60.
• EGP 100 for driving instruction for cars and motorcycles, instead of EGP 9.
• EGP 50 for driving agricultural tractor, instead of EGP 9.
• EGP 100 fees to re-issue a damaged or lost license instead, of EGP 4.40